The first day, I am like a deer in the headlights. Then, my eyes just glaze over with information overload. And finally, I step back and try to establish one or two key take-home ideas......generally over a glass of wine at the airport on the way home!
Here is what I learned:
- Google is the technology leader in education right now. Everything that can be done in the classroom can be done with a Google solution.
- I do not know how you can teach K-3 without an iPad. It offers so much in terms of developing fundamental skills.
- LEGO Education is the newest mover-and-shaker in technology. In response to such a big emphasis on tinkering, engineering, coding, and robotics in education, LEGO teamed up with MIT Media Lab and great things are happening.
- Scratch is also very very cool.
- Buzz words and phrases are everywhere. I found myself saying, "Well, that sounds great, but what the heck does it ACTUALLY mean?" Hashtag-this and i-that, and solutions for everything. Connected, connecting and connectedness.
- Students should create not just consume.